Catfishing is when an online fraudster develops a relationship with a victim online over time by pretending to be someone else. Frequently, the purpose of catfishing is to steal the victim’s identity or take money from the victim.
Ways to spot someone who may be catfishing.
- Search their name on the internet to see if it exists and if the photos associated with it match photos associated with their profile or that they have sent you.
- They ask for money too early in the relationship.
- They avoid face-to-face contact via meeting up or on video chats.
- They are a little too perfect.
- Their stories don’t add up or are conflicting with each other.